It’s almost a year since we started offering our popular Footy Sevens pick-up games and we’re expanding with a couple of new ways that you can drop in and play on a casual basis.
- Tonight (Wednesday 21st January) at 7pm sees our first Volleyball pick-up game at one of our new venues, the wonderful double gymnasium at the Hunt Club/Riverside Community Centre.
- This coming Friday at the Carleton University Fieldhouse, you can join local professional soccer players Nicki Paterson and Carl Haworth for a combined skill coaching session and pick-up game.
- We’ll also be rounding off the week on Sunday with one of our regular pick-up soccer sessions at 3pm in the Louis Riel Dome.
For all of the pick-up sessions you can simply register for your spot online and then show up and play. Teams will be formed for the evening, you’ll have your game of soccer or volleyball, and then you go home, simple as that.
The games are ideal for those that want to get an extra game or two in without having to commit to another team, for those that work irregular shifts and find it hard to commit to a specific league night every week or for those times when you just plain fancy a game of soccer or volleyball. If you are new to our leagues, or want to see what a venue you haven’t played at has to offer, it’s a good way of checking it out before committing to a league season there.
How does it work?
- We have set up another satellite website where we’ll list the upcoming pickup games.
- If there is a game that you want to join, just login with your normal Footy Sevens name and password (or register if you are new to Footy Sevens)
- Click on the register interest button beneath the pickup game you would like to join and you’ll receive the pre-payment link by e-mail.
- The first few pickup games are 90 minute pickup sessions, the discounted price is $10 if you are currently registered in a Footy Sevens or Volley Sixes league, with a higher price for those not currently playing in our leagues.
- All space will be allocated on a first come first served basis, with current Footy Sevens/Volley Sixes players given priority over non-members.
We’ll be adding more pickup sessions as fields and courts become available. Players who have registered for the PICKUP site will receive a weekly e-mail with the upcoming pickup dates. You can switch off these e-mails on your profile page on the site if you do not wish to receive them.
If you have any questions or need some more details, you can e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.